A client needing to remove rugs from wood floors contacted Resicom to devise a solution to remove the leftover adhesive residue once rugs had been lifted. Although familiar with the required solvent product to remove the gummy residue, few local suppliers stock the product. Resicom needed to source the product for the nationwide project.
The scope of work is:
- Remove, replace, rotate rugs on a wood floor in retail locations.
- Any adhesive remaining on floor must be removed with client specified solvent.
- Paint on wood floor can not be damaged during the adhesive removal process.
- Photos must be sent to the client detailing before and after project execution.
The constraints of this project included:
- The required solvent is distributed to a minimal amount of local distributors, yet Resicom needed nationwide product availability to coincide with the necessary project locations.
- Solvent supplier only sells in quantities of 6 bottles per case. However, the project scope outlines that technicians need only a small amount from one bottle per job. (1 bottle could last the technician years)
- Product shipping is difficult due to regulations prohibiting chemicals compounds being sent via conventional shipping methods.
- Substitution solvents that have been attempted to remove the adhesive damage the painted floor, therefore there are no alternative suggestions for a replacement product.
We understood to execute this project and save time and money for the client, we would need to do extensive research and planning to find out the best way to expedite sourcing this material in the most cost effective manner.
- Project Manager gathers available information on the required solvent, then researches manufacturers and current suppliers.
- When it is determined that the availability of local suppliers is scarce, Resicom attempts a direct purchase through the manufacturer.
- Resicom orders a case of solvent and interacts with a local shipping company on how to effectively package the product to enable shipment compliance with inter-state legislation.
- Projects requiring the solvent are shipped 1 bottle directly, and only a small percentage of the cost of the material and shipping is applied to overall project budgets.
- Technicians apply the necessary solvent to remove the adhesive from the wood floor. and take before and after photos showing the paint did not come up as well
- Before and after photos demonstrating that the painted floor was in no way damaged are sent to the client.
- Those photos will be sent to the client, and they will not have to worry about sending material or high price costs on material/shipping.
Resicom understood the importance of using the client’s required solution so that the painted floors would not be damaged during the adhesive removal. We quickly researched the product and leveraged communication to work directly with the manufacturer. By researching options, rather than simply incurring expensive material and shipping costs for our client, Resicom was able to effectively manage the project and execute a successful outcome.