A retailer wanted to refinish their storefront. The store was having a big event and this work needed to be completed by a specific date. In the week leading up to the deadline, the forecast called for rain. Here is a brief description of how we solved this project.
The scope of work needed to execute this project included:
- Test moisture level of wood to ensure it had a moisture level below 12%, ideal for exterior wood
- Sand and repair gouges and split wood
- Caulk and prime as needed
- Paint storefront to current specifications
The constraints of this project included:
- Project had a firm deadline
- Complete project overnight, returning store to ready for business by the following morning
- The forecast was for rain all week.
We understood that there was no flexibility in the schedule, regardless of the weather forecast. Our solution to this project included:
- An approach that created opportunity for recovery. We could not wait out and see if the weather got better as the week went on, we needed to start right away so that if something went wrong, we could repair it before the event.
- A test of the moisture level to help ensure lasting project success.
- Construction of temporary awning. An awning was a better solution than a containment in this instance because we needed the airflow to aid the drying process. A containment would have limited airflow, extending the amount of time the paint needed to dry.
- This awning was free standing and constructed out of wood framing and 6 mil plastic. Its purpose was to move rain water away from the freshly painted surface.
- We needed to maximize the number of hours that the freshly painted surface had to dry, so we completed the project on a Sunday, when the store closed a couple of hours earlier than the rest of the week.
- Removal of the awning before the store opened for business.
- Submission of the proper sign off and photos as requested by the client.
We cannot control the weather, however, we need to be able to meet the needs of our client. This was a high profile project that needed a solution that met the deadline, regardless of the conditions. We designed and executed a plan that ensured the project was complete on time and that would not require a return trip to redo the work once the weather cooperated.